(Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography of NAS RA)
Academia Edu: https://sci.academia.edu/pavelavetisyan
Old World Archaeology, the Neolithic and Iron Ages Cultures of Transcaucasia, periodization and Chronology of Bronze and Iron Ages of Transcaucasia.
Employment Science 2007
2006 - Present Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography, NAS RA, Director
2005-2006 Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography, NAS RA, Head of Department of Prehistoric Archaeology
1994-2005 Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography, NAS RA, Scientific Employee
1987-1993 Yerevan State University, Junior Scientific Employee
1983-1987 Yerevan State University, Senior Laboratory Assistant
1983 Museum Erebuni, Senior Scientific Employer
1980-1982 Institute of National Economy of Yerevan, Responsible Secretary
- 2016 Of the World - Systems, borders, and contact zones in the history of ancient Southwest Asia. In: At the junction of world-systems: From the history of the contact zones of antiquity and modernity. Yerevan, pp. 48-65 (in Russian).
- 2016 Armenia in the Epoch of Bronze and Iron, Armenia. The Legend of Being, Moscow 2016, p.22 - 28
- 2014 Transition to Extractive Metallurgy and Social Transformation in Armenia at the Endof the Stone Age, Stone Age of Armenia. A Guide-book to the Stone Age Archaeology in the Republic of Armenia, Monograph of the JSPS-Bilateral Joint Research ProjectCenter for Cultural Resource Studies,Kanazawa University, p. 283-315 (with A.Bobokhyan, Kh.Meliksetian, B. Gasparyan, Ch. Chataigner and E. Pernicka).
- 2013 The rock art in the highlands of Syunik, Archaeology in Armenia II. Cooperation Projects in 2011 and 2012 – Preliminary Reports and additional selected Studies, Halle, p.209-234 (with A Knoll F. , Meller H., & et all).
- 2012 The Main Tendences of Transformation of the Ancient Cultural Environment of the Armenian Highland during the Early Bronze Age, In: Historical-Philological Journal, 2, pp. 3-19 (in Armenian).
- 2012 Areni-1 Cave, Armenia: A Chalcolithic–Early Bronze Age settlement and ritual site in the southern Caucasus, Journal of Field Archaeology, vol. 37, N1, pp. 20-33 (with K. Wilkinson, B. Gasparian, R.Pinhasi, R. Hovsepyan , D. Zardaryan, G. Areshian, G. Bar-Oz, A. Smith).
- 2012 The Chalcolithic of the Near East and south-eastern Europe: discoveries and new perspectives from the cave complex Areni-1, Armenia, In: Antiquity, Vol. 86, N331, pp. 115-130 (with G. Areshian, B. Gasparyan, R. Pinhasi, K. Wilkinson, A. Smith, R. Hovsepyan , D. Zardaryan).
- 2012 Archaeology of Armenia in regional context: Achievements and perspectives. In: "Archaeology of Armenia in regional context", (Proceedings of the International conference dedicated to the 50th anniversary of the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography NAS RA, 15-18 September, 2009), Yerevan, pp. 7-20 (with A. Bobokhyan).
- 2011 Metallurgy of Prehistoric Armenia, In: “Anatolian Metal”, V, Bochum, 2011, pp. 201-210 (with K. Meliksetian, S. Kraus, E. Pernicka, S. Devedjian, L. Petrosyan,).
- 2010 Early bronze age burial mounds at Talin, In: Von Majkop bis Trialety, Gewinnung und Verbreitung von Metallen und Obsidian in Kaukasien im 4.-2. Jt.v.Chr., Bonn, 2010, pp. 161-165 (with F. Muradyan, G. Sargsyan).
- 2009 The Archaeology and Geography of Ancient Transcaucasian Societies, Volume 1: The Foundations of Research and Regional Survey in the Tsaghkahovit Plain, Armenia, Chicago, 540 p., (with Adam T. Smith, Ruben Badalyan).
- 2008 The Pottery Traditions of the Armenian Middle To Late Bronze Age "Transition" In the Context of Bronze and Iron Age Periodization, In: Ceramics In Tranzitions. Chalcolithic Through Iron Age in the Highlands of the Southern Caucasus and Anatolia, Edited by K. S. Rubinson and A. Sagona. Ancient Near Eastern Studies, Sup. 27, Leuven-Paris-Dudley, pp. 123-183, (with A. Bobokhyan)
- 2007 Bronze and Early Iron Age Archaeological Sites in Armenia I, Mt. Aragats and its Surrounding Region. BAR International Series 1697, Oxford, 2007, 319p. (with R. Badalyan).
- 2007 Le Chirak à L'âge du Bronze moyen XXIVe-XVIe s.av. J.C.. In: Dans Les Montagnes D'Arménie. 500000 ans d'histoire avant notre ére, Sous la direction de François fichet de Clairfontaine, pp. 63-65.
- 2006 The Culture of the Ararat valley in the XI-VI Centuries B.C., Yerevan, 395 p. (with H. Avetisyan).
- 2004 The Neolithic And Chalcolithic Phases In the Ararat Plain (Armenia): The View From Aratashen. In: A View From The Highlands. Archaeological studies in Honour of Charles Burney. Edited by Antonio Sagona. Ancient Near Eastern Studies. Supplement 12, pp. 399-420 (with R. Badalyan, P. Lombard, Ch. Chataigner).
- 2004 Early Complex Societies in Southern Caucasia: A Preliminary Report on the 2002 Investigations of Projekt ArAGATS on the Tsakahovit Plain, Republic of Armenia. In: American Journal of Archaeology, 108, pp. 1-41(with Adam T. Smith, Ruben Badalyan, Mkrtich Zardaryan).
- 2003 The Emergence of Socio-Political Complexity in Southern Caucasia. In: Archaeology in the Borderlands: Investigations in Caucasia and Beyond. Edited by Adam T. Smith and Karen S. Rubinson. University of California, Los Angeles, pp. 144 -166 (with Adam T.Smith and Ruben Badalyan).
- 2003 Preliminary Results of Excavations of the Agarak Site, In: Archaeology, Ethnology and Folklore of the Caucasus, Echmiatsin, pp. 52-57. (in Russian).
- 2003 Chronology and Periodization of the Middle Bronze of Armenia. Erevan, 29 p. (in Armenian).
- 2000 The 1998 Excavation Campaign at the Middle Bronze Age Necropolis of Sisian, Armenia, In: Studi Micenei ed Egeo-Anatolici, XLII/2 pp, 161-173 (with R. Badalyan, A. Gevorgyan, O. Khnkikyan).
- Preliminary Report on the 1998 Archaeological Investigations of Project ArAGATS in the Tsakahovit Plain, Armenia In: Studi Micenei ed Egeo-Anatolici, XLII /1, pp. 19-59 (with A. Smith and R. Badalyan).
- New Archeological Sites of Armenia. Cemetery of Artashavan. In: Handes Amsorya, 1-12, pp. 193-248 (With N. Engibaryan and G. Sargsyan), (in Armenian).
- 1995 The Palaeoanthropological Materials from Urartian Tombs in the Historical and Archaeological Context from VIII-VI centuries B.C. Archaeological Monuments and Specimens of Armenia, 16, pp. 98-104 (with R. Mkrtchian), (in Armenian).
- 1990 The End of the Middle Bronze Age between the Arax and Kura Rivers, In: Historical-Philological Journal, 1, pp. 53-74 (with G. Areshian, V. Hovhannisian, F. Mouradian, L. Petrosian) (in Russian).
Select Archaeological Fieldwork
- Present -2011– Co-Director (with G. Areshian), Excavations of Masis blur. Neolithic Settlement
- Present -2009– Director, Excavations of Qarashamb. Bronze Age Cemetery.
- 2014-2004 – Co-Director (with Ch. Chataigner), Excavations of Godedzor. Chalcolithic Settlement.
- 2014-2001 – Director, Excavations of Agarak. Bronze Ages - Medieval Settlement.
- 2004 – 1999 – Joint Armenian – French Excavations at Neolithic Settlement of Aratashen in Ararat Valley.
- 2003-2002, 2000, 1998 – Joint Armenian-American Project for the Archaeology and Geography of Ancient Transcaucasian States (ArAGATS). Systematic archaeological survey and test excavations in the Tsakahovit region, Republic of Armenia
- 2003, 2000 – Co-Director (with Stephan Kroll) Armenian-German Joint Project on the systematic archaeological survey in the Syunik region, Republic of Armenia.
- 2002 – 2000, 1997 – Director, Excavations of Nor Oshakan. Bronze Age Cemetery.
- 1999, 1998 – Director, Excavations of Sisian. Middle Bronze Age Cemetery.
- 1993 – Director, Excavations of Aygeshat. Bronze - Iron Ages Cemetery.
- 1991-1989, 1985 Director, Excavations of Talin. Bronze – Iron Ages Cemetery.
- 1990-1984 – Director, Excavations of Mastara. Bronze – Iron Ages Settlement and Cemetery.
Select Conference Papers
- 2015 At the crossroads of the Epochs and Cultures: The main results of the excavations in Godedzor / Millet cultivation in the Caucasus from the 6th to the 2nd mill BC: origin and development, Lion, Franse (with Kalantaryan I.A., Chataigner Ch., Palumbi G.).
- 2015 A Survey of Cult-Places in Pre-Christian Armenia / Religious interactions in Ancient Armenia 8th c. BC - 5th c. AD, Paris.
- 2014 From Early Farming Societies to First Polities: new data, approaches, and concepts / Current Practices in Armenian Studies: the creation and visibility of new knowledge, Los Angeles, USA (with Badalyan R.).
- 2013 LIA France-Armenia (“Humans and Environments in Mountainous Habitats” - HEMHA): International Cooperation of Archaeologists and New Discoveries in Armenia. Environment and Societies in the Southern Caucasus during the Holocene. Lion, Franse.
- 2009 Archaeology of Armenia in Regional Context: Achievements and Perspectives. International conference “Archaeology of Armenia in Regional Context”. Yerevan, Armenia.
- 2006 The Early Bronze Age Burials of Talin. International conference “Von Majkop bis Trialeti”. Berlin, Germany.
- 2005“Sacred Landscape”: Characteristics of Agarak Cult Constructions. International conference “Mythical Landscapes Then and Now”. Yerevan, Armenia.
- 2003 The Ceramics of the “Transitional Period” from the Middle Bronze – To Late Bronze Age (in the Context of the Bronze and Iron Age Periodisation of Armenia). International conference “Ceramics in Transitions. Chalcolithic Though Iron Age in the Highlands”. New York, USA.
- 2003 Preliminary Results of Excavations of the Agarak Site. International conference “Archaeology, Ethnology and Folklore of the Caucasus”. Yerevan, Armenia.
- 1999 The Sources of Euphrates and Tigris according to the Bible (with A. Bobokhyan), International conference “Biblical Armenia”, Armenia.
- 1997 Gold in the Historical-Cultural Context of the Bronze Age Armenia, Republican Scientific Session, “The Gold of Ancient Armenia’’, Yerevan, Armenia.
- 1996 On the Questions of Chronology and Periodization of Bronze – Early Iron Ages in Armenia (with R. Badalyan, S. Hmayakyan, A. Piliposyan), Republican Archaeological Scientific Session, Yerevan, Armenia.